Saturday, October 24, 2009

NOW I LAY ME DOWN TO SLEEP




I remember back when I was a young child, probably around 5 years old. My brother and I shared a room with bunk beds. At that time I was terrified of the dark. My bedroom faced the backyard, and on that wall was 2 windows and a glass panel door. It was very dark outside too. If you've ever seen those bright searchlites they use at grand openings of restaurants and movie premiers, etc.; then you are familiar with the white beam and spot that travels through the night sky as the searchlight rotates back and forth. At our residential location you would just barely see the white spot go randomly through the night sky. Well, my older brother thought it would be funny to tell me those were demons flying around to and fro. I would lay awake for hours and quietly pray to God to protect me. I must say I never physically saw any angels or anything, but I felt God's presence and felt protected. Most of the time I would pray "Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep." But during these times I had a direct dialogue with God. This might seem trivial or cute to some, but to me at that time, at that age,  I felt so vulnerable. No, those weren't demons, but it made me trust in God as my Protector. I truly believed in His protection and was able to go to sleep. It doesn't matter how old we are, when we experience the different fears of life. He has been there for me time and time again. Pray for your children, that God will watch over them and comfort them in their fears......The Lord is good, a refuge in times of trouble. He cares for those who trust in Him. Nahum 1:7

2 comments:

Michelle said...

ok which brother was this...I need to have a word with him!

Bill S said...

Not important. I forgave him long ago. Kid's will be kids.