Monday, October 19, 2009
DON'T JUST SIT THERE !
Just a couple of years ago, my youngest daughter called me up, and didn't know what to do. She woke up with her eye all infected and puffed up. It was swollen shut. She had just turned 19 and was not supposed to be covered anymore on my wife's insurance. She was not eligible for insurance at her part-time job, and didn't have the funds to pay for medical services because of the limited hours they were giving her at her job. I told her we would just have to trust the Lord to work it out. We proceeded to get her state medical assistance, but weren't able to because she had lost her social security card. We then go to the doctor anyway, and they tell us she is still covered on the insurance. After seeing the doctor we proceed to get the prescription for her eye medicine filled. I say, let's go to the pharmacy by the social security office and get that new card. So we turn in the prescription and they say it will be a 45 minute wait. Then we walk 2 buildings down to the social security office and put her name in. We sit and wait. While waiting, I overhear this distraught man frustrated with them because they won't help him resolve his problem. He has parkinsen's disease and was shaking uncontrollably. They were rude to him and said there is nothing they could do unless he had identification. They said he had to have a mailing address for someone to mail a copy of his birth certificate from Maryland to California. God shouts at me in my spirit and says, Don't just sit there. get up and help! I go to the window and ask the lady, how about if he uses my mailing adress. The lady says fine. So , Donald and I go out front and talk, while my daughter is being speedily helped to get her new card. I sense this man has had a rough life and is all alone. He proceeds to tell me a short version of his troubled life as I start feeling the increasing presence of the Holy Spirit. Then with both of us in tears, I lead him in the sinners prayer, and he asks Jesus to come into his heart. Before we had prayed, my daughter walked down to pick up her prescription. Then as we finished praying, my daughter walks up and joins us. I tell her about Donald and she finishes praying with us. We give him a ride back to the retirement home and say goodbye. He leaves our company a changed man. God turned a serious medical emergency into a blessing for my daughter and a complete stranger. Since that day I visited him regularly, and he started to improve with less shaking, started reading the Bible regularly, and started praying for the others at the home. All of this wouldn't have happened if I had ignored God's voice and just minded my own business. We all need to step out of our comfort zone and extend helping hands and hearts to those in need. Especially nowadays with so many individuals and families being pushed to their limit with lifes challenges. [Romans 8:28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are called according to His purpose.]
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comment:
That's a really nice story :)
Post a Comment