Friday, September 25, 2009

THANKS DAD

Today I want to talk about my dad. His name is Clarence. When I was about 16 years old , because of my parents divorce, the courts awarded him visitation rights. I really didn't want to go anywhere with him on the weekends, and got out of it a lot of times by making up some kind of excuse or lie. It was so boring for me. I would rather be partying with my friends. He would always talk about God and those kind of things. He would also have Christian music or Christian talk programs on the radio while we drove around in his El Camino. A couple of times we went to these prayer meetings. I just sat there oblivious to what was going on around me. I then told him....Look, if you want to see me, we can go out to dinner or something, but I'm not going to anymore of those stupid meetings, anymore! Otherwise, just forget it, I don't want to go anywhere! I know...... I was a jerk! He still played that music when we went out to eat. Once he stopped by unannounced and walked in on my friends and me doing drugs. All he said to me was.... Bill, I am really disappointed in you.! I was totally bummed out and went in and crashed on my bed. That sunk in more than if he would have blown up at me. I guess at that point he just gave me to the Lord. Then at age 17 I got saved and delivered from drugs ( refer to earlier blog - "TALK ABOUT TIMING!"). Atfter that, our relationship was much improved and kept getting better as time went on. We had our disagreements through the years, but generally were good with each other. About 5 years later I got married and started a family. God had been convicting me about unforgiveness in my heart. I finally laid down my pride and went over to my dad and said "Dad, If there has ever been anything that I have ever done or said to hurt you, I am very sorry!" I told him I love him and gave him a great big hug. I felt a burden lift and felt free indeed! Ever since that moment our relationship steadily improved and assuredly so did our love for each other. It just took me realizing a few key things I needed to deal with to break the barriers down. God did the rest and healed our relationship. We continued working in construction together regularly, talking about spiritual things, laughing and crying together. This humble man, who had been through so much heartache, remained steadfast in his faith, and passed it on to his sons. He always had the best of intentions. He gave without expecting anything in return. He went to visit the sick and took me with him a bunch of times. By his leading we would pray with them and they would be touched by God. He would always take time to help the homeless, even take them to church sometimes. He would visit the men in prison and regularly support prison ministries, bringing hope to the hopeless. He was active in His church and regularly supported missionaries. He did all this cause he loved people and loved the Lord. We had so many laughs together. So many good memories. He blessed my life. His love and persistance is the reason I am here today, saved, and typing this blog. He never gave up on me. He just loved me and prayed for me in spite of my shortcomings and backslidings. I want you to read this Bible passage and see what you think..... Matt. 25:35-40..... For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me. Then the righteous will answer Him, " Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?" The King will reply, " I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for Me". ~ My dad was living this every day! Almost 7 years ago my dad passed away from cancer. Not a day goes by that I don't miss him. Praise God I will see him again in heaven.......... You were my dad, my friend, my brother in Christ. I miss you and I love you. Thanks dad!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Bill, I am really blessed by your blog and will share it with others. And I know that as you bless others that the Lord will bless you in return. This is a wonderful tribute to your dad -- and so accurate. Clarence could always make you laugh in the most trying of circumstances. It brought back a lot of my own special memories of him, too. I remember asking him if it was alright to call him "Dad" and he gave that chuckle that was so constant and said he'd like that just fine. The music playing right now is “Lord, Help Me Jesus” and boy that sure reminds me of riding in the El Camino and listening to his radio. I used to borrow his Dave Boyer (sp?) Christmas album. I loved it so much and he was always so generous to give it up even though I knew he wanted to listen to it himself. But that was Clarence. I can't wait to catch up with him and Stef. Oh Happy Day.

Bill S said...

Thanks ~ They are some pretty big shoes to fill he left behind, but he always had a lot of faith in me. He led his life by example, and touched many lives along the way. I just wish he could have been here to see and hold his great-grandchildren.