Tuesday, November 24, 2009

GOD"S TIMING

Yesterday, November 23, 7 years ago my father, Clarence, went home to be with the Lord. He had been declining rapidly because of cancer that was spreading throughout his body. In his last days he was dwindling away in weight and conscienceness. He was on morphine to control the pain and was on oxygen around the clock. The family had been told by the doctors that he didn't have much time left. So I travelled late that night the 2 hour drive to his house. I had worked late, was exausted, and had thoughts of driving out early the next morning instead. I heard that still small voice telling me to go that night. I went and arrived late. I slept in the living room on the couch just a few feet from his hospital bed. I got up several times during the night to check on him. I prayed with him, stood by his side, held his hand, and told him I loved him. The next morning I decided to go back in and finish my job that was almost completed so I would be free to take some time off after his death. It was about 3 hours by the time I got home, switched trucks, and got to the job. Just as I pulled up to the job, I received a phonecall on my cellphone from my oldest brother. He and his wife had been caring for my dad night and day for the past 6 months. Well, he said he was right by his side when he breathed his last breath just a few minutes before that phonecall. I was so blessed to be able to spend that last night with him. Words cannot explain what that has and does mean to me. And the joy in my heart to know that he is now present with the Lord. Just a few weeks prior to his passing, God did a wonderful thing for him. My dad was a great fan of the California Angels major league baseball team. He had been a fan since the team started, followed most of the games, knew about all the players and their stats, and basicly just enjoyed watching them play. We went to a lot of games through the years, even the All Star game when I was a kid. This was the same year the Angels won the World Series. The final game of that series, 2 of my brothers and I were sitting in the living room with my dad watching the game. We would update him when they scored and he would become alert for about 30 seconds and then fade back out on the morphine. Then the Angels WON! We sat him up in his hospital bed and he was alert, smiling, and happy as could be that his Angels had finally gone all the way. They had won the World Series. He laid there alert for about 15 minutes watching the players and fans celebrate. That was dad's last hurrah here on this earth, because in the 3 weeks or so he had left, he just kept declining steadily. We were so happy for him and his special moment. Thanks again for that Lord! We all miss you dad, but we'll see you again in glory.

1 comment:

hay8there said...

Bill, I was so glad to see your "Homecoming" entry about your dad. I was reminiscing with Charley about him on the 23rd and Charley recalled hearing of his loyalty to the Angels all those years -- truly the most faithful Angel fan I ever knew -- through the good years and the bad -- of which there have been many. I can't wait to see him again.