Tuesday, November 10, 2009

SECRET WORSHIP



A little over 23 years ago, thanks to my oldest brother, I had an opportunity to go with my brother on a missionary trip to China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, and the Phillipines with the Nora Lam Crusade. It was a life impacting and life changing experience for the both of us. There is no way I could have afforded the trip, but he insisted I go. I am forever thankful to him and to God for making a way for me. I have a plethora of stories to tell of our experiences God took us through. Just now I stopped and prayed to the Lord and asked Him where I should start. I believe one of the most impacting experiences was when we smuggled Bibles into China. There was 200 plus Christians in our group and the Bibles were placed in random suitcases and all made it through Chinese customs unscathed. We all went straight to the hotel from the long train ride inland from Hong Kong. Shortly after we settled in our rooms, a group of approximately 20 or 25 jumped in a large bus, and under the cover of darkness, proceeded to go on a short trip to a secret house-church in an obscure village in the hills. The bus drove on these dark dirt roads out in the middle of nowhere where you would think you would need a 4 wheel drive vehicle to get there. Then all of a sudden, the bus driving with no headlights on, stops and we all get out. We walk down these back alleys, between houses, and then walk in this door to a house. It was jammed full of Chinese Christians worshipping the Lord. We joined them in praise and were totally blessed as we blessed the Lord together. Words can't describe the feeling of genuine worship from these rural Christians worshipping in secret because of their country's strict laws against Christianity. To me it felt as if there were angels there with us worshipping. These people cherished the few Bibles they had and were so thankful for the new Bibles we brought along with us. Things like having a Bible and the freedom to worship we just take for granted. They take advantage of any opportunities. Even as I type this I am getting convicted of all the Bibles and Christian books I have and don't spend nearly enough time with. Lord, give me a hunger and thirst for Your Word and open up my understanding. Thank You for all these things we take for granted. Help us to be good stewards with what You've given us.Bless our brothers and sisters in all those countries that are not blessed with our freedoms. Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness, for they shall be filled. Matthew 5:6

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bill, this is a wonderful testimony and very convicting. I really appreciate your comments about our Bibles. We are free and should be devouring the word of God. Bless you.