Tuesday, October 19, 2010

ANGELS ON THE FREEWAY

So many times in my life I have been spared tragedy on the freeway. Sometimes due to carelessness and sometimes being in the wrong place @ the wrong time. The first that comes to mind is when I was driving home late from my girlfriends house. I was in my late teens, driving my dads old pickup on the freeway headed home. A current well traveled freeway now, was then a new two lane freeway with a small chainlink fence (separating the opposite direction of traffic) down in the gully of the shoulder. I was so tired I could barely keep my eyes open. Well I fell asleep completely. I woke up down in the gully inches away from wiping out the fence. At 65 MPH a few more seconds and that would have been it! In my 20's @ 5:00 in the AM (still dark outside) I left with that same truck, pulling a large cement pump w/ mixer attached. (very heavy equipment!) I look in my rearview mirror and see this machine in the lane next to me. The pin had popped out of the trailer tongue and the safety chain was the only thing keeping it attached to my truck. I slam on the brakes and it swerves onto the shoulder to my right then slams the back of the truck and stops. Had just missed other morning traffic by inches! Years later pulling a scaffold trailer loaded down with scaffolding I go over this dip on the freeway and the pin flies out of the trailer. Same scenario....trailer swerves to lane on left, tips on one wheel, and shifts load with scaffold pieces hanging out 5 or 6 feet. Just missed a truck by inches, swerves to shoulder on right, I brake and it slams the back of the truck. This was late afternoon freeway traffic on a busy freeway. It could have been a disaster. Yet God was watching over me. I always pray when I am on the road. You would think my angels would have put in for a transfer after all that! But they have been there time and time again. God has promised to give His angels charge over us. A few years later I'm driving in my car in the fast lane on this freeway and I see a truck tire (rim and all) bouncing in the fast lane on the other side of the freeway,TOWARD ME! It jumps the median headed straight for my windshield, then curves back toward the median, just missing a head on collision with my windshield by inches. As I looked in my rearview mirror, it appeared that it just hugged the median and rolled to a stop without injuring anyone. It happened so fast I didn't have time to react or even slow down. I have so many others, I will have to tell @ a later time. Thank You Lord for blessing my life with Your constant protection! Don't forget to ask for God's protection every day!

1 comment:

Bill S said...

Well, I went to bed late last night thinking about this post and the impact these miracles had in my life. They boosted my confidence in what God is doing in my behalf. There is also humor in this. Shortly after that first incident I talked about, my dad and I were coming home very late one day from an unbelievable hard days work. It was in the 100's that day and we were working in the valley(about 1 1/2 hour drive in traffic).We were so tired we both hadn't said a word the whole way and were just sitting there with blank stares on our faces. I was pulling a smaller plaster mixer with the truck. I distinctly remember making a big deal about hooking the safety chain up! Well, we're almost home and dad looks over and in a stoic look and says ....Did you put the pin in the mixer?? ... We both burst out in laughter. We laughed so hard I couldn't see and had to pull over on the freeway just to finish laughing. I have never laughed so hard in my life! I had mentally pictured that mixer whipping back and forth the whole way with us oblivious. hahahaha! It cracks me up just thinking about it. You really needed to be there to fully appreciate the humor. I really miss my dad and all the fun times we had working and just hanging out. I am looking forward to seeing him again in heaven!